22 July 2013

How to make working for yourself work for you


Look at her.  It was freezing cold when I took these photos.  She was sitting outside on the deck looking in.  It's cold, you duffer, come inside!

"But I've got this really good spot ... ooo, what was that, I'll just check that out first ...."  She's easily distracted.

I see so much of myself in her.  I think we've been working together for too long!

One of the things I've figured out working for yourself from home is that it's a pretty lonely gig.  If you need company, if you go stir-crazy being in the house for too long on your own, then this isn't for you.

If you like your lovely sitting room to look nice and not like a warehouse then this isn't for you.  Although your cat will appreciate the added sleeping spots.
If you're easily distracted, low on self-discipline and disorganised then it's going to be a struggle to stay motivated.

And if you're stuck on the processes and always chasing your admin tail then staying inspired and creative is going to be something you 'used to do'.

I've had a few chats lately about blogging.  About why I blog.  I read a blog the other day that posed the question 'what was the point'.  It's important, I wanted to yell back, but couldn't find the words to say why.  I was chatting with my yoga instructor this morning about working for yourself and it's been on my mind all day.

What I've figured out ...... I don't feel as isolated when I blog.  I'm sure there are people like me, wondering how other people do it on their own.  I do it by instinct and sharing it here with pictures and links is one way to show it.  There's nothing educated, informed or academic about how I run Crayon Chick.  If it feels good then I do it.  If it inspires me then I'll share it.

If my week was totally uneventful with nothing more exciting than the cat watching me then that's ok.  It's reality.

Sometimes I'm wary about the picture perfect blogs.  They can muck about with my head and make me feel self-conscious and inadequate about my voice.

Who knew this was going to turn into such an insight!  I guess thinking about what my blog is about  made me want to put it down in words.  And I've been hanging about doing this for quite a few years now and I'm by no means an expert but I seem to have found a way that works.

I hope it helps you if you're a bit lost wondering how other people do it.  Hang in there.  For what it's worth, this is how I do it.

Thanks for sticking with me.

2 comments:

  1. I loved this Michelle & admire the way you put in, stay in but relax when nothing's happening! keep up the good work
    Elizabeth :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth. I had no idea this post was going to wander off in this direction. I started procrastinating and next thing my heart was on my sleeve! Your response is really appreciated :)

      Delete